China builds new hospital in 5 days to fight surge in coronavirus cases – National

China builds new hospital in 5 days to fight surge in coronavirus cases - National



China on Saturday finished building a 1,500-room hospital for COVID-19 patients in five days to fight a surge in infections in a city south of Beijing, state media reported.The hospital is one of six with a total of 6,500 rooms being built in Nangong in Hebei province, the Xinhua News Agency said. All are due to be completed within the next week.
Read more:
WHO experts tasked with investigating coronavirus origins land in China

China, which largely contained the spread of the coronavirus, has suffered hundreds of infections this month in Nangong and the Hebei provincial capital of Shijiazhuang, southwest of the Chinese capital.A similar program of rapid hospital construction was launched by the ruling Communist Party at the start of the outbreak last year to set up isolation hospitals in Wuhan, the central city where the virus was first detected in late 2019. Story continues below advertisement

Nationwide, the National Health Commission reported 130 new confirmed cases — 90 of those in Hebei — in the 24 hours through midnight Friday.

0:40
Coronavirus: China authorizes WHO team to probe COVID-19 origins

Coronavirus: China authorizes WHO team to probe COVID-19 origins

There were 645 cases, two of them acquired abroad, being treated in Nangong and Shijiazhuang, according to Xinhua. [ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
In Shijiazhuang, authorities have finished construction of one-third of the rooms in a planned 3,000-room coronavirus facility, state TV said Saturday.More than 10 million people in Shijiazhuang underwent virus tests by late Friday, Xinhua said, citing a deputy mayor, Meng Xianghong. It said 247 locally transmitted cases were found.
Read more:
China says it will not charge people for getting vaccinated against coronavirus

Meanwhile, researchers sent by the World Health Organization are in Wuhan preparing to investigate the origins of the virus. The team, which arrived Thursday, was under a two-week quarantine but was due to talk with Chinese experts by video link. Story continues below advertisement

The team’s arrival was held up for months by diplomatic wrangling that prompted a rare public complaint by the head of the WHO.That delay, and the secretive ruling party’s orders to scientists not to talk publicly about the disease, have raised questions about whether Beijing might try to prevent discoveries that would hurt its self-proclaimed status as a leader in the anti-virus battle.

View link »




© 2021 The Canadian Press

Via Source link